Squares on Squares on Squares
I'm committed to posting on this blog once a week. That said, I didn't actually do much in the way of pop culture consumption this past week, so I have nothing to speak about on that front. I actually worked all week, like a productive person! It was crazy! That said, this is my blog and I can post whatever I want, so today I'll be writing about the process I went through these past few days in creating my personal branded logo.
First some background. I've become quite enamored with design since taking a few classes on the concept in school. I found myself tinkering with Illustrator in my off time, and began practicing with vector the past two weeks - you can see all of that in my portfolio. But I wanted to work on something a bit more long-term and professional. And so I set about working on a brand for myself.
I approached my logo creation like any other project I aim to take seriously - on paper first. As great as computers are, I find that ideas flow better when you don't have to work with software or have the software work against you. Ideation for me involves drawing as many different variations as possible. The more variations I draw, the more I find a few ideas taking shape that I can work with. I'll come back to this post with pictures of my notebook.
Afterward, I threw the drafts I found most promising into Illustrator. Let's go through them one by one:
A combination of the S and F in my name. A little silly, but so am I!
This one is a little more classical, almost overwhelmingly so. Designed to make me feel very sophisticated.
A "sam" in the shape of a pencil. Pretty abstract, and the one I was the least fond of.
My most abstract variation, where the boxes hint at the strokes of the S and F that represent my name.
My four concepts done, I posted for feedback on Facebook, Twitter, and via email. I received some pretty helpful critique, and made changes to three of the four variations, discarding the pencil.
I removed one of the blocks in the first variation to make the concept of my initials stand out a bit more. I added a fang to the dragon variation to add to the playfulness and create more definition to its serpent-like shape. And I exaggerated the points on the classic variation to give make it stand out a bit more.
All this done, I put the logos away and let them sit for a day, so I could look at them with fresh eyes later on.
I came back with a few more ideas after some critique from a former design professor (Thanks Dan!). I decided to move forward with the abstract design and figured I could pull something off with some subtle, but important changes. To that end, I moved the initials closer together, and decided to remove the strokes altogether, replacing them with color instead. Here's a collection of color variations I considered:
If you look close, you'll notice that one of the color palettes is based on the theme of this website!
I knew I was almost done, I just needed a few more opinions on which palette was most pleasing to the eye. And after much deliberation, I finally finished my logo!
The logo itself more than likely won't show up with the Avenir variation of my name, but I'm glad it works well with it either way.
So there you have it! This project a cumulated total of about 10 hours across two days, and I learned a lot during the process. But I believe this final variation demonstrates the balance of creativity, minimalism, and my love for technology. Let me know what you think!